Bacterid is an enrofloxacin-based injectable antibiotic, a 3rd generation fluoroquinolone with broadspectrum antibacterial activity that is excellent against gram-negative bacteria and good against some gram-positive bacteria and Mycoplasma spp. It is bactericidal at relatively low concentrations, is highly bioavailable following either oral or parenteral administration in most species, and achieves good penetration of body tissues and fluids. In the body, enrofloxacin is broken down into ciprofloxacin, another active antibiotic. Both enrofloxacin and its active metabolite ciprofloxacin, inhibits bacterial DNA gyrase with no effect on mammalian DNA gyrase, thus with little side effect. In addition, post-antibiotic effect in which growth of pathogens may remain inhibited for varying periods after enrofloxacin concentrations fall below inhibitory concentrations has been observed in some bacteria.
- BROADSPECTRUM (high sensitivity against Gram - and + bacteria comparable with the leading enrofloxacin brand and at least 5 times more effective than oxytetracycline and penicillin-streptomycin injectables against E. coli and Salmonella)
- LOW COST OF TREATMENT (comparable with other low cost injectable antibiotics and 4 times less than the leading enrofloxacin brand)
- LESS TISSUE IRRITATION AND EASY SYRINGEABILITY (minimal swelling at injection site compared to long acting oxytetracycline and less viscousity for easy administration compared to penicillin-streptomycin and obytetracycline)
Per mL contains:
Enrofloxacin………………………………… 100 mg
10 mL and 100 mL vials
BACTERID is indicated for the treatment of various infections in livestocks and fighting cocks:
• Bacterial and mycoplasmal pneumonia in swine and ruminants (due to Pasteurella, Bordetella, Actinobacillus, Hemophilus, Erysipelothrix and Mycoplasma spp.)
• MMA syndrome in livestock animals
• Colibacillosis and enteritis in young pigs and ruminants
• Skin and soft tissue infections due to Staphylococcus spp., etc.
Dosage and Administration:
Administer by deep intramuscular injection in the neck muscles
- Scouring : 0.5 mL per 20 kg bodyweight for 3 days
- Pneumonia : 1 mL per 20 kg bodyweight for 3 days
- MMA : 1 mL per 45 kg bodyweight for 2 days. (For better result, give the sow 1 mL oxytocin and 2.2 mg/kg of flunixin meglumine)
Do not give to birds producing egg or in animals producing milk for human consumption.